Once you've decided that you want to become a certified and trained Eyelash Technician, taking the next step is hard! It seems like there are so many options out there when it comes to selecting the Lash Program that is the best! It can be overwhelming when comparing all of the programs but here are a few things to look at when you're deciding.
Here at FIXE we are so proud of the QUALITY that we provide to all of our students. From our comprehensive manuals that are always being updated to stay current with our ever changing industry, our incredible mentorship and on-going support, fully stocked starter packs, and affordable tuition we are proud to say that we are UNMATCHED in Canada with the quality of training we provide.
When you're looking for a training program there are a few things that you want to consider before investing your hard earned money:
- What regulations and guidelines does your program follow? Unfortunately the Eyelash Extension Industry is NOT regulated in Canada and also many states in the US. This is the reason that you see so many people teaching lashes. Doing your homework and selecting a certified, accredited and licensed program is so important when you're deciding where to invest your hard earn tuition dollars. There is a program in Canada called National Alliance of Lash Artists (NALA) and they follow the Canadian Accreditation Regulations when it comes to providing guidelines for educational programs. Training courses in Canada that are accredited by NALA have a strict protocol to follow and are held to the absolute highest standards and are the most recognized in our country and globally. Make sure to ask which accreditations the education program has. Other bonuses are to check out if they are a part of the Better Business Bureau and if they are licensed and insured. If you are paying someone to teach you how to run a proper business, the teachers themselves better be running their business perfectly.
- What is the student to teacher ratio? Contact the School themselves if it is not mentioned on the course description. In accordance with NALA and Canadian Accreditation Regulations there should never be more than 6 students for one instructor. Any more than that and the safety of your models and also the quality of your training is jeopardized.
- What products are included in your starter pack? After you invest all this money into your training the last thing you want or can afford to do is have to run out and spend another few hundred dollars on supplies. Some courses may have lower prices but you'll end up spending the same, if not more when you have to go out and stock up on supplies anyways. Most courses that have start kits are able to offer you mega value at a wholesale rate and it ends up being cheaper for you to select a course that comes with a fully stocked starter kit
- How many hours of IN PERSON instruction does your course entail? Make sure that you ask how many days that your course is and how many hours of theory are included. So many people are shocked to learn how much theory goes into lashing and it is not something that can be taught in a couple hours. Safety and Hygiene alone can take up to 3 hours to teach properly.
- How Many hours of SUPERVISED live model application do you get? There are so many different things that can arise with live models/clients and supervised LIVE model experience is so important so that you can leave your program feeling confident and knowing that your clients are in the best hands. NALA regulations require 8 + hours of supervised live model application.
- What support do I have once I have completed my training? Learning lash extensions is not something that can be accomplished in just one or two days - so make sure to ask if the program includes online training and ongoing education and support with your teacher. This is so important.
- Do you have a place where I can review testimonials or call past students for references? Why not seek answers from unbiased people. Check out testimonials and reviews online and don't be afraid to ask for student references. People who excel at their trade are people who are trained by the absolute best in their field so don't be afraid to take the time to ask questions and to do your homework so you make sure you are off to the absolute best start in your lashing career!!
We hope this helped you in making your decision! Welcome to the Exciting, Fulfilling and Rewarding industry of Eyelash Extensions!